Monday, March 16, 2009

Smelling like Jesus

It's Spring...........things are budding. It is beautiful to the eyes. It feels good to the skin for the temperature to be warmer. I hear people talking about opening their windows and enjoying fresh air. But for me - it is like walking through a haunted house. There is something waiting to be sucked up my nose and send me into a sneezing fit! The outside looks scary. You see, I have allergies. What is beautiful and fun for most - holds the potential for a migraine or coughing attack.
Because of my history of allergies, I tend to stay inside. I don't want to let my senses experience the spring time. Because of my history, I don't trust the air outside! Maybe I should just become the bubble lady!

2Co 2:14 But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere. 2Co 2:15 For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing, 2Co 2:16 to one a fragrance from death to death, to the other a fragrance from life to life. Who is sufficient for these things?

I thought of my allergies as I read 2 Corinthians a while back. You see, we are supposed to be the fragrance of God to our neighbors and friends. It should be the sweet fragrance of spring. But sometimes:
  • We aren't sweet.
  • We don't help people see the beauty of God.
  • We don't look or smell like God at all.

The result is that we make people hurt - like my allergies do to me. Then our friends, neighbors, and our children become afraid to experience God again.

I don't want to be an allergen fighting against the aroma of God. I want to truly look, feel, and smell like Jesus. I want people - especially my family - to be drawn to God because of the way I treat them.

So how do I fully take on the aroma of God.........................


2Co 2:14 But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere.

God help me:
  • let you lead me
  • let you fill me
  • to spend time with you and get to know you better
  • to take on your aroma
  • to smell like Jesus all the time

No comments:

 
Site Meter